Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Life in France

Henry II of France
When I was five-years-old, I was sent to France, spending the next thirteen years at the French court. Henry II of France raised me, and I had the best available education. I mastered the following languages:  Italian, Spanish, Greek, Latin, and French; I learned many things during my stay in the French court. Personally, I also made a close friend; her name was Elisabeth of Valois.

Truthfully, I liked it at France. It was the prime time of my life, the "golden age" of my childhood.

Many people praised me, and I was the French court's favorite person. Even Henry said that I was "the little Queen of Scots", "the most perfect child I have ever seen." Henry II was very affectionate and caring towards me.

Elisabeth of Valois
Afterwards, I married Francis II of France, and after two years of into our marriage, he passed away due to an ear infection, which formed a pus in his brain.

First, Henry II was killed in a jousting accident. My mother passed away in Scotland, and Francis died in 1560. I was extremely devastated during this time; I lost three close members from my family. Honestly, I have never really recovered from this gloomy period of my life.

After Francis's death, I wrote a poem about him. Here is an excerpt:
"By day, by night, I think of him
In wood or mead, or where I be
My heart keeps watch for one who's gone
And yet I feel he's aye to me"

I missed the three of them. I loved them so much, and they had disappeared from my life so suddenly...



Image Source: Wikimedia, En.Academic.ru

No comments:

Post a Comment