Saturday, October 23, 2010

Elizabeth I, My Cousin

Queen Elizabeth I
Most people would expect that my relationship with Elizabeth was a "solid" one, for she was my cousin.

However, this was certainly not the case. Although I have never met face-to-face with Elizabeth, we tried to keep this "friendship" up. But our efforts were futile. It didn't work. After all, how could I be friends with her when I don't want her to be the Queen of England? Besides, she probably hated me too.

So after Francis passed away, many people were curious about me and my "future" husband.

Strangely, Elizabeth decided to handle this matter; she hoped that I would marry Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester.

Well first of all, Leicester was known to be Elizabeth's "lover"--he was also a "wife-murderer". When she suggested him to me, I was offended! Nonetheless, I didn't care for "Leicester", for I decided to marry Lord Darnley.

After this whole "marriage" issue, I expected her to stop interfering with my life, but she didn't.

After I was imprisoned (see Earl of Bothwell and the Sticky Situation), I asked Elizabeth to help me out. Although she helped me to get out of this predicament, I was still a prisoner under her care.

Many wanted to me dead, but Elizabeth was different. Maybe it was because I owed her my life. At this point, however, my relationship with Elizabeth was even more strained than before...

Without a doubt, I can say for sure that disliked Elizabeth from the beginning. But now, I am not sure what to think of her anymore...


Image Source: EnglishHistory.net

1 comment:

  1. Alas, Mary, it pains me to hear you speak of Elizabeth this way, as she is the daughter of my cousin, the now deceased Anne Boleyn. I am fairly close to her and I wish that you would think more highly of her. Remember that she did help you out of your "sticky situation" and without her, you might not be here today! Overall, I'm glad you seem to be changing your mind about Elizabeth and perhaps you two could grow closer in the future.

    Best wishes,
    Catherine Howard

    ReplyDelete