Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Lord Darnley

Henry Stuart, Lord Darnley

When I met Lord Darnley (Henry Stuart), my half-cousin, I immediately fell in love with him. Although he was three years younger than me, I still liked him.

Later, we got married, and Elizabeth didn't approve. Apparently Elizabeth "felt threatened" by our marriage, for Lord Darnley and I were the next in line for the English throne. Even the English ambassador, Nicholas Throckmorton, commented "that surely she [Queen Mary of Scots] is bewitched", saying that  our union could only be "averted by violence".

It was nice of them to comment on my life, but honestly, did their opinions mattered/affected to me? Nope.  It didn't. Plus, I ended up marrying Lord Darnley anyways.

Honestly, I was truly happy (with my marriage) with  Darnley--until he got jealous.


David Rizzio
He was jealous of my friendship with David Rizzio, my private secretary. Can you believe that? Why would he be jealous?  It was not like I cheated behind his back or anything.

Meanwhile,  Darnley and several nobles decided to plan Rizzio's murder.  I was unaware of this matter.

In March 9, 1566, at Holyrood Palace, Darnley barged in to our (Rizzio and I) conference and murdered my secretary in front of me.

How could he do that? Rizzio was my friend.
Not only that, Darnley killed David Rizzio in front of me. 
Why would Lord Darnley be jealous of  him? I was carrying his child for Pete's sake!

Because of this incident, I could never forgive him.

In that same year, James, my son, was born on June, 19, 1566.  But before I could relax, I attended a meeting at Craigmillar, discussing a method to get rid of Darnley (and also hoped to divorce him as soon as possible).

Apparently, Darnley heard of this meeting and ran away to his father (who resided at Glasgow).  At Glasgow, Lord Darnley became ill of smallpox.

So in 1567, I visited Darnley and urged him  to stay at an abbey in Edinburgh to recuperate. He listened to me, and in that year, I came by his house frequently; I tried to reconcile with him.

On the night that I was gone, an explosion occured in the house; Darnley was found dead in the garden....

All in all, if he had not been jealous, Lord Darnley would have been a good husband to me. Being "jealous" was his major flaw, a flaw that I could not forget--or forgive.



Image Source: Luminarium.org, RoyalCollection.org.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment